Latest Version: 3.00
Added on: 2015/05/26
I have always wanted to try something new in my theme development. This time, I bring to you a grunge design. In my previous post, I listed an article about grunge effect tutorials. I kind of like the idea of having stains, dirty textures, rips and torn images to enhance the look of a blog.
I am proud to partner with the owner of Smashingapps.com and grant him the rights to distribute the theme exclusively on the site. For the support of this theme, please leave your issues in the comment section of this post.
By using this theme for FREE, you agree to accept the external links.
The following is an example of a custom design of the Grunge Style theme.
– User-friendly Options page
– Drop-Down Menu
– Automatic Thumbnails
– Different design for sticky post feature
– Compatible with IE7, IE8, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera
– W3C XHTML and CSS compliant
– SEO ready
– Gravatar enable
If you wish to translate this theme into your own language, you can do so with the use of the Poedit program. To find out how this works, please refer to this comprehensive guide.
When you have completed the localization, kindly send me the translated files so I can share your work (with your credit) with other users.
Please refer to this page for the details of how the automatic thumbnails work.
The Grunge Style theme has a multi-level drop-down menu that is using the latest function in WP 3.0. There are two ways to create the drop-down menu.
1) When you create hierarchical pages, the drop-down menu will show up automatically in the header navigation.
2) You can manually define the header links using the custom menu. To do it, first, click on the “Menus” link found under the “Appearance” tab in WP admin. Then follow the instruction on the page to add your custom menu. This feature only works with WP 3+.
There is a featured content section below the header link. This feature is built in using the Featured Content Gallery (FCG) plugin. Please download the latest version and follow the instruction found in “Readme.txt” to do the setup.
If you do not want to show this feature, just don’t install the plugin.
Blog Title and Description
The demo is showing a special font as below:
By default, after you install the theme, the blog title and description are showing the Arial font.
You can change the font style by following this instruction:
Part 1: Modifying Font Style
– Download this PSD zip file (also included the font that I use)
– Extract and open the PSD file in the Photoshop/ImageReady/Gimp/PaintShop program
– Change the title and description using your desired font (you are free to modify the header image if you want)
– Save the image using this name: bg_header.jpg
– Upload the image to your server in the “/styles/default/” folder
Part 2: Activating the Style
– Login to your WP admin
– Go to the options page of the Grunge Style theme under “Appearance -> Grunge Style”
– Find “Theme Style” under “Layout Setting”
– In the pull-down menu, select “default.css”
– Save the setting and go to your site to see the changes.
An ad widget can be found under the “Available Widgets” section. You can drag the widget to the sidebar. This widget allows you to add your advertisement while keeping the sidebar design. Please limit the width of your ad to 160px.
The followings are a few examples of nice modification of this theme from other users. You can view all the nice design in the forum theme showcase.
2009-07-03 v1.00 – Release
2010-10-26 v3.00 – New – Added drop-down menu, ad-widget, Options page, advanced automatic thumbnails, custom style, custom menu (works on WP 3+ onwards) and enabled localization (translation).